Don’t let the summer heat break your workout routine. Omgirl’s organic cotton racerback sports bra keep you girls controlled and allows for you to power through your vinyasa motions during yoga.
Posts tagged ‘organic’
Bringing home a dog is a huge commitment in every way. Making your pup comfortable makes everyone in the house comfortable. We believe in investing in the right, quality tools for the job at hand. So before we brought Lovey Howl home we did our research on what our puppy would need to be healthy and settled in our home. One company that stood out from the rest was West Paw Design and their extensive line of high-grade pet products.
Of course you need to pick up an Eco Nap for crate training and a Heyday Bed that can go in or outside the crate for a little extra cushion. The hemp or organic cotton Bumper Bed is super plush and the perfect spot for pooch to get cozy. The Big Sky Blanket is essential if your pups cuddling on the sofa (or bed).
A large majority of their products are made from organic cotton or hemp fabrics and are filled with their exclusive eco fiber made completely from recycled plastic bottles. We were so impressed to learn that, to date, the Intelliloft stuffing has diverted 9.7 million bottles from the landfill! If that wasn’t enough, all of their products are hand-crafted in the USA (Bozeman, MT).
There are plump and juicy blackberries ready for picking just about everywhere you turn in and around Seattle. We have a special little secluded spot at the beach house we let these blackberry vines with their incredibly sharp thorns take over. Each year we about this time we are reminded with incredibly sweet and delicious berries why we allow these gnarly prickly plants in our yard. We use them in our morning smoothies and mixed into greek yogurt with a touch of honey for dessert.
If you have made the same sacrifice or just love blackberries here is a must make recipe from Cooking Light to celebrate the fruits of your labor.
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ice wate
- 10 cup fresh blackberries (about 5 [12-ounce] packages)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juic
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
1. Place 1/3 cup granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer until combined (about 1 minute). Add egg yolk, beating well. Stir in vanilla.
2. Place almonds in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until finely ground. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine nuts, flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add nut mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until a soft dough forms, adding 3 tablespoons ice water, as necessary. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 6 times or until smooth. Divide dough into 2 equal portions; wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour or until firm.
3. Preheat oven to 375°.
4. Combine the remaining 2/3 cup granulated sugar, blackberries, cornstarch, and lemon juice; toss gently. Arrange berry mixture in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Unwrap dough. Roll each dough portion into a 13 x 9-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut one rectangle, crosswise, into (1-inch-wide) strips. Cut remaining rectangle, lengthwise, into (1-inch-wide) strips. Arrange strips in a lattice pattern over fruit mixture; sprinkle dough with turbinado sugar. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes.
Julianna Grimes, Cooking Light
Photo by: Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
It seems like everyone around me has a bun in the oven or is trying. There are a million decisions that need to be made even before conceiving to get your pregnancy off on the right foot. The Honest Company makes one of them pretty easy with their Health & Wellness Bundles with an auto delivery to your door each month (or how ever often you choose). The package includes a 30 day supply of their prenatal multi-vitamins and DHA/Omega-3 supplements that provide the essentials for you and baby.
Honest’s Health & Wellness bundles are packed with a premium formulation of carefully chosen, fresh, whole food-based ingredients – vitamins, minerals, botanicals, antioxidants, probiotics & super foods and free of the fillers and toxins (gluten, soy, yeast, wheat, sodium, dairy, eggs, sweeteners, artificial flavors, dyes, preservatives, arsenic, cadmium, lead, mercury, PCBs, dioxins, common nut allergens & environmental toxics)
Don’t forget its important to start taking your vitamins before you start trying. Pickup a free sample for yourself!
There is no doubt that autumn is in the air here in beautiful Seattle. It is time to start prepping your veggie and other gardens whether they are on a farm, estate, yard, or balcony. The best thing that you can do for your garden (or pot) is refreshing your garden (or pot) with some organic mulch. We use our favorite, honest, local brand Cedar Grove Organics Compost Mulch.
Inspired by a gorgeous photo on the cover of Food & Wine we set out to create our own modified version David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl’s fabulous recipe. We of course we recommend using all local, organic vegetables and fruit for this recipe to really make the flavors pop.
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- 2 nectarines, cut into thin wedges
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large orange, green, and red bell pepper, finely julienned
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 Persian cucumbers cut in half and sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Optional few slices red onion (finely chopped)
- Optional 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans
In a large bowl, whisk the lime zest and juice with the olive oil, scallion, jalapeño and shallot; season the dressing with salt and pepper. Gently fold in all the fruits and vegetables. Refrigerate the salad for at least 2 hours. Fold in the cilantro just before serving and serve the salad chilled.
Photo by © Con Poulos
Food & Wine Magazine
Are you like us and always on the hunt for a delicious organic wine at a reasonable price? One of our favorites that we discovered at our local Whole Foods is Innovacion by Santa Julia. It is a fabulous blend of Temparnillo and Malbec grapes from Argentina that pairs perfectly with a grass-fed beef or tomato based pasta. At a price of only $11 you cannot go wrong with this wine.